Monday, February 25, 2008

Dylan's 7th Birthday (with a visitor!)

Seven years ago, God sent us Dylan Michael Poff, and that new life marked the beginning of many changes to come. I became a stay-at-home mom (and eventually a homeschooling mom), we started going to church, gave our hearts to the Lord, got baptized, and many more things from there.

Seven years ago, we drove through a blizzard (which is strange to think of now as we are having a 65 degree down here today) and Dylan was born Feb. 24th, 2001, at 4:50 a.m. Since it was also my mom's birthday, we called her up that morning and wished her a happy birthday and said that she could come see her birthday present at Mercy Hospital! Here's his 6-month picture:

Here's when he was 2 1/2:

And when he was 3 1/2:

Now, at age 7, we are really getting to see all the wonderful gifts and characteristics God has given him to make him unique. When he was 2 and 3, we used to call him Pastor Dyl, because he loved listening to praise music, read Bible storybooks, and talk about Jesus. We have recently resumed that nickname as he has resumed these behaviors! We are so thankful that God has big plans for Dylan!
Dylan wanted a frog cake (which is exactly the same as his 2nd birthday-he's LOVED frogs his entire life. The only natural thing we had to color the frosting with was pureed strawberries, so we made a girl frog. (You can't see the back legs from this picture, but you get the point!) He also wanted to help make his favorite breakfast, which was my apple-cinnamon-flaxseed oatmeal.
(He's not really that skinny--he was sucking in to reach the back of the stove without hitting the oven handle!)


Now, the birthday visitor I referred to; the Lord knows how much Dylan likes seeing all sorts of creatures, and sent him this right in our own backyard:

Look closely, and you'll find an armadillo! I went into Faith's room to open up her blinds for the window facing our backyard, and screamed when I saw this guy running around out there. Everyone in the house jumped (Justine probably did too since I was on the phone with her) and thought I was kidding when I yelled, "There's an armadillo in our backyard!" We know that it was an extra special little gift from God for Dyl's birthday because we read that these guys don't come out during the day usually and when they do, it's got to be cloudy because they have very sensitive eyes. Well it was a beautiful, sunny afternoon and there he was! Not exactly something us Minnesotans are used to seeing! Thanks God for your wonderful creation. (I hope I'll still be saying that about the local wildlife this summer!) Happy 7th Birthday Dylan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Sara, this is your Uncle Jeff. I am driving truck again, been thru OKC a couple time. Send me your number & I'll call you if I know Im coming by again. Jeff