Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bed Rest & My Helpers

As our close family and Facebook friends know, we've had a few surprises come our way. At 30 weeks, this baby decided it was time to try and be born. Fortunately, after 5 days in the hospital, different medications to stop labor, and a blood transfusion, I was able to come home on bed rest and medication. Each day this little guy grows inside the womb is a victory.

Everyone, including my doctor and nurses, thinks bed rest is close to impossible with four kids. Boy, have I found out otherwise! This has been a wonderful opportunity for the kids to learn to serve those in need around us, especially right in our home! We've had to slightly alter our homeschool schedule but the things they are learning instead are much more valuable. In fact, I've actually been rather spoiled! Vince has taken this opportunity to grow his culinary skills. He doesn't pass up any opportunity to try a new dish, no matter how long it grounds him to the kitchen.

Since Friday night is pizza night, Vince challenged himself to make homemade pizzas by himself. We found a delicious recipe for a yeast-free quick whole wheat dough that uses baking powder instead. He made three pizzas like we normally do, chopping up all the vegetables and doing all the baking himself. I got up once to see if he was okay and he told me to lay back down! Dylan helped by grating all 2 pounds of cheese and while it's normally Faith's job to slice mushrooms, she wasn't feeling well so Vince did that too. Here's the finished product:
They were literally the best pizzas I've ever had! I liked this crust recipe better than my own! (Before you ask for the recipe, remember: it's a much higher calorie and fat crust than the other one. My doc said to fill up on as many calories as possible to grow this baby faster before he's born, so it worked out well for now!) Here's another dinner of his:

Without being able to go to the store, we had to improvise with what we had while Pete was at work and groceries were low. So I had Vince use leftover cream cheese/spinach filling from our vegetable wraps to make twice-baked stuffed potatoes. After baking them almost all the way, Vince scooped out most of the filling and mashed it with the cream cheese, chopped spinach, and garlic seasoning. After putting the filling back in the potatoes, he put shredded cheddar on top and broiled it until the cheese melted. They were absolutely delicious!

Aside from dinners, Vince has been making all of our breakfasts and lunches too. On a day when I said he could just make pb sandwiches for lunch, he chose instead to make homemade whole wheat pancakes with his homemade whipped cream! When he dished up my plate, he put extra whipped cream on it and said it was per the doctor's orders to get Malachi more calories!

Faith and Dylan have been wonderful at taking on extra chores along with their regular chores and schoolwork. Gabie just loves the fact that Mommy is available on the couch with a blanket for a good cuddle whenever he needs it. He also really loved his time with Daddy at home during the days I was in the hospital. It has caused him to officially make the transition to Daddy's boy now.
I love opportunities like this for our kids to learn how to serve and help others. They are doing a wonderful job and I am so thankful for my helpers. Even when things get complicated and a bit scary, it reminds me that everything can be a blessing when used the right way. As for baby Malachi, we have always known that God has a plan for him. We are thankful for God's love, care, and peace.

No comments: